It appears to have been a small ale house, which disappeared at the end of the eighteenth century.At the bottom of the west side of the High Street, at Nos.24-26 stood the Half Moon Inn, which was established in the early eighteenth century.
In addition it provides twelve stroke rehabilitation beds.
Hertfordshire Community Trust also operates intermediate care beds on site.
Hemel Hempstead Hospital is situated on Hillfield Road in Hemel Hempstead town centre, minutes from the main bus station.
This establishment was also little more than a beer house with accommodation because, according to the 1851 Census, the nine lodgers were described as ‘labourers’.
By the end of the nineteenth century the brewers, Chesham and Brackely, closed the pub in order to transfer the licence to the Midland Hotel, Hemel Hempstead.
This old beer house, dating back to the sixteenth century was purchased by the Bailiwick in 1886 in order to construct further Bailiwick buildings on the site.High Street showing the Red Lion and the three balls sign of the pawnbroker’s shop Hemel Hempstead Local History and Museum Society cared for by the Dacorum Heritage Trust Ltd Picture: Dacorum Heritage Trust Beyond the remaining White Hart was once the Dolphin, which stood on the site of the now closed National Westminster Bank. However, the pub frequently changed hands, which suggests that trade was poor, the customers being mainly down and outs. This beer house, mainly patronised by tramps and labourers, managed to keep trading until 1914. 76-78 and continued trading as a common lodging house well into the twentieth century. 66 and according to Kelly’s Directory it was still operating in 1882.Henry Hall for example, the landlord at the time of the 1851 Census, is described by the enumerator as a ‘labourer’.Next door but one to the old King’s Head, at what is now Townend House, stood the Red Lion Inn.